18 August, 2003

My brother eric taught me everything

Of course, this is another thing I'm posting without the authors' knowledge or consent... my sincere apologies. As usual, I'll obscure names.

My uncle sent out a message to his friends (below) and also copied me on one of the replies he received. I'm posting both my uncle's message and the response.

i write to you all with a heavy heart....i guess i've been putting it off as some sort of self preservation.....(if i don't e mail my friends it never really happened)....my brother eric went in for a physical every year....(the sensible brother)....three years ago/two weeks after a perfect physical they were taking out his kidney....cancer....they gave him a few weeks to live and wrote him off....he called and was so depressed that there was nothing he could do....i suggested that since he was a computer genius he get on the internet and find a cutting edge project.....(at the time i didn't even own a computer/much less know anything about the internet)......his cancer took him to texas/dc/and back to omaha over a three year period.....last month he tried the newest latest and greatest.... they removed his immune system/induced a coma/kee moe sabied everything/put in my other brother's immune cells/and crossed their fingers/as we all did.....he was slow to respond/but then it looked like it was working/but he knew it was not/he had no immune system/he made the decision to stop the dialysis/the cancer was spreading/his kidney was not working/and he had no function below his neck/he said his goodbyes over the next few days and we told him that we loved him.....on the 12th i told him it was midnight and it looked like a full moon outside his window.....the next night at 11 i was working on my computer novice that i am....i had a bug "blaster32"and wished i had eric to help me....i felt like i had his hand on my shoulder.....i found norton anti virus/loaded it/got the updates one at a time before the bug shut down the computer again and again/i blocked msblasterexe from contacting the mothership/found the extraction tool for said bug/extracted it/found a patch for the firewall/and i patched the firewall/i am a total novice i don't really know what i've just said much less how to do these things.....about 11:50 eric's son called and said it would be over soon....i raced to the hospital knowing it would be midnight soon and he would be gone.....he passed away at midnight/with a bright full moon/mars visible next to it/a beautiful meteor shower/on the 13th/eric's daughter in law had false contractions at midnight......WHAT A WAY TO GO......i believe in reincarnation....i hope little e2 gets some of her grandfather's spirit and talent......i love you all and remember everyday is precious..........my brother eric taught me how to build speaker cabinets and repair microphones when i was only seven or eight years old....ive used those lessons my whole life...there wasn't an instrument he couldn't play....most people are give and take eric was mostly give.........PEACE / LOVE /
Thank you so much for the note, it is an honor to be your friend, thank you for sharing your brother with me. Sometimes over the last years you would share a story about him, and abaout his cancer, as sad as it all was I was glad to be there to listen for you. The same day your brother died, my brother-in-law's mother died, She was 94, and in hospice. Anyhow, it was sad that I couldn't be there for you, but you and your family were in my prayers. My father died when he was 59 of cancer, I still miss him, I know that his life is better, but it is still hard. So I know what your brothers children are going thru, but I haven't lost any of my brothers or sisters yet, so I can only imagine your pain. I will keep you in my prayers, I start my teaching job today, but I will be in to see you soon.
Peace,

No comments: