09 August, 2003

personal journal, 9 Aug, 2003

Tonight may have been the last time we ever get to communicate with Dad. Based on the Doctors' recommendations, Dad's expression of his wishes, and our own feelings and understandings, yesterday was the last day Dad received dialysis, and nature will be allowed to take its course with him.

Without dialysis, he probably won't have many more moments of lucidity.

At Mom's request, I was the one to finally request that support be ended. We went back to Dad's room and had our own & collective breakdowns. I told Dad that we love him (so much), and that we're really going to miss him. I told him that we know that he really loves us. After that, I got an unexpected and welcome reaction... Dad nodded vigorously in agreement... I had really thought he was asleep. I told him that everything we do, he's a part of. Also,on the way out, I told him "thank you."

No comments: