01 August, 2003

What dad actually looked like during his time in the hospital

Graphic photo of dad when he was looking pretty bad.
I won't embed the graphic in this page, so you have the option not to look at it.

This photo is really hard for me to look at, but I took it because I really wanted to remember the reality and the gravity of dad's condition. I also took it out of hope... because I knew that if dad ever made it out & recovered, he'd be really interested to see what he actually went through (of course, he really disliked looking at photos of himself when he looked good, let alone something like this... so he'd probably only check it out once). :)

You'll see that he has a washcloth on his forehead for his fever, and his whole body is very swollen (edema), especially his lips, neck, etc. the whites of his eyes are red and swollen (they called these "blebs" and said that it happens when someone is on a ventillator for a long time). I can't remember whether the tube in his nose is feeding, or a drain, and you see the ventillator going into his mouth. His skin was very sticky, I think they said that it was his body trying to get rid of toxins.

View the photo

No comments: