12 August, 2004

Message from Dad?

Sent out this message from my handheld as I was trying to get to sleep early on the 13th. Trying to tell the story of what turned out to be a pretty amazing experience (and work off some insomnia).

Hey all,
I'm just working off a bit of insomnia. It's been exactly one year now, since dad passed away... Midnight this morning (about an hour ago, actually). I drove up to Omaha late this evening... Just to be here with mom. I didn't want her to be alone, and I just needed to be here too.

Once I got here, mom & I went out on her back deck to watch the Perseids. Probably just 3 or 4 minutes before midnight. I just hugged her and we both stared up at the sky, hoping for anything. We never saw anything for a while. I had been out watching earlier, too... & didn't see anything then, either.

Finally, after a few minutes, we both saw a really big beautiful one go right over us. We started crying and joking that it was probably exactly midnight... Mom ran inside and, sure enough, it was exactly midnight. It was too perfect... the minute dad had died last year. I kept laughing to myself... couldn't stop laughing and crying. It was like dad said hi to us... no other way to take it... too perfect of a coincidence. :)

We each only saw one more small meteor, and didn't see the same one together. Mom said that the small ones were private hellos to each of us. I like that idea.

I can't say that I hadn't hoped to see a meteor to signify dad... but this was too cool. Just perfect.

I told dad I loved him... & we just stood there, missing him deeply... and went inside to try to sleep (obviously it's not working for me yet).

Anyhow, just wanted to send out some love... relate the cool experience tonight... err... this morning, and let you know we're hanging in there.
Much love,
-p

No comments: